Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Welcome Board






















The theme within and without of Chugach Optional is the birch tree. There is a pillar at the entrance that represents the birch tree trunk while inside there are large shapely leaves hanging from the ceiling. When I was thinking about the Welcome Board for Kass' Family Group I wanted to use leaves. I used the die-cut machine to cut out the leaves, added each kids name and floated them down the river. The blues in the batik background that Kass picked out looks like the flow of a river.

I also wanted a sense of the seasonal movement through the year. I used watercolor paintings by children from Waldorf schools, calendars that I have collected to show the seasons.

Kass has a beautiful board above this display area that she uses to document daily activities, I wanted to tie this into the Welcome Board so people would take notice. I put up a simple saying to catch people's interest. I tried to keep the language simple so that emergent readers would have a chance at reading the board.

I look forward to seeing all the other ideas.

Good luck tomorrow. Kimmer

2 comments:

  1. It is cool that the whole school participates in the theme. This not only simplifies things, it creates a sense of school community and unity.

    That has been an issue at Muldoon as some boards more effort is put into than others. Some look cluttered while others look bare. A common theme might be beneficial to making the school appear more appealing.

    ReplyDelete