Friday, August 27, 2010

The First 8 Days :)

I have had a productive and engaging 8 days with 22 1st and 2nd graders at Chugach Optional. I am benefiting from the role models around me who I meet, plan and collaborate with. I watch closely, absorb ideas by taking notes, collecting materials for my personal collection and by teaching myself. I want to try to mirror my mentor's style and routines as much as possible.

On day one, Wednesday, I was given 15 minutes (or so) to teach Yoga. I created a routine and quickly created a list of kids who wanted to teach their own poses! I teach this everyday, modifying the routine a bit, adding details, slowing them down to breathe and of course adding to the routine with each new pose the children offer. I have been able to stay within the 15 minutes while the children are engaged and improving their technique.

I was asked to be a part of a rotating team of afternoon readers. After lunch the three primary classes split into two groups for reading. The other teachers (2 now that I am involved) have time to prep and plan. I read for 30 minutes, 4-6 books, on 3 different occasions now. I choose a variety of books, mostly fiction and of varied length so that I don't run over the time frame. I love reading to kids!

On day four, Monday, I was given the morning routine to teach. After our 15 minute morning transition with some parents helping to settle their children into an activity at their tables, I bring the class together on the carpet to read a story. We then do attendance (Zangle), lunch count and then calendar (math-Bridges). This all takes about 30 minutes. For the rest of the week I basically did this routine. Kass, my mentor teacher, enjoys reading also so we take turns and she introduces new routines like jobs and then gives the group to me. I have felt very successful doing all of this with Kass' support.

Later Monday afternoon I taught an art project that involved the children making penguins. They worked in partners to make one penguin. 30 minute block. The intent was to make speech bubbles that reflected the rules that were talked about the day before. We did not have time to do the the bubbles this day so I picked it up Tuesday afternoon and taught for another 30 minutes. I cut up the list they brainstormed and gave a strip to each child so they could copy it into their speech bubble. They are now mounted on the wall in the classroom for reflection. (I forgot my camera at school so will post a picture of them later)

On Wednesday I taught the Youngers (1st graders) handwriting (from the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum). I continued with another lesson on Friday.

These were my first experiences teaching on my own during this internship. I am also actively involved throughout the day supporting everything Kass is doing. I feel very comfortable in this classroom and school and I appreciate every moment.

One of the most challenging things for me is keeping a-tuned to the schedule and knowing what will be taught next. Kass over plans (in a positive way) and has many quick things that she can pull out of her bag of tricks. I watch her decide to extend an activity that the children are still engaged in while ending others if children are disengaging. I see when she transitions with physical stretching in the hope that it will change their nervous system response to the next lesson.

I am excited when I use my lesson plan book! The second week looked like a mess with things scratched in and out and moved around. Now that I understand how things are so very fluid, this coming week looks much more tidy. I was also excited when I received my first inter school mail from a teacher friend of mine. These little things help me feel like a real teacher.

The three primary teachers have a planning time together on Thurday. I join in, listening intently, copying down the plans that Kass is writing in the lesson plan book. Kass and I then meet daily to decide what I will teach.

Next week our intern schedule changes. I am a bit sad about this as I would love to continue this process by being completely present. Yet, I know I will gain a lot from our classes along with the time for reflection and preparation. I plan on using some of my mornings to observe the other two primary teachers. So, next week I will have to give up the morning routine time yet, I will be able to continue the story time and yoga.

Kass will allow me to help her teach the math unit on penguins. (Bridges). Tuesday afternoon I will teach them how to play and then make a Travel Game. They have to spend money on their way to Antarctica and this first game is the class against me! Wednesday I get to teach a math and science activity that involves the whole group, ice and water. The goal is to get the water as close to 60 degrees as possible. I will then support the children to write about the process. This math unit will continue through the next few weeks.

A big thank you to Kass, Sharon, Leigh, Anne and the rest of the staff and parents for everything....!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well and the school is fitting you nicely. I too am disappointed about the change of schedule next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard! I will enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete