Friday, August 13, 2010

Incredibly Lucky Intern

I am so fortunate to be an intern this year with Kass Friend at Chugach Optional. There are many reasons I feel this way...
  • My children have gone through elementary school at Chugach. The girls just moved on this year. My son Connor had Kass for two years and then both of my girls, Ali and Grace (twins) were in her class also. Thus, I have had four years with Kass already, and at a time in my life when I was able to be in her classroom as a parent.
  • The staff at Chugach is a small family who obviously support and like each other. More than that, most are true friends. They have invited me in very naturally.
  • Teaching in an optional setting is the only way I really know how to teach. The Primary Team is a group of three, four including me. We plan together and support each other. I am learning how they work together and do things differently. I am so excited by this opportunity to see these long time master teachers in action everyday. The fluidity I know will be available to me within the three classrooms and ultimately the entire school is exciting.
These last two days were like old times in a way. Helping Kass set up her room. Yet, there is a big difference in that I know I am a much bigger part of what is unfolding. It will become mine for a time and so every nuance is important and every detail worth noting and understanding.

I thank all of the staff for swishing by me with your smiles and lifting me up as I float through the hall on my cloud of happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have really found your "niche". Good luck to you this year - I know you will be awesome!!!
    Luv, Gina

    ReplyDelete