Sunday, February 14, 2010

VoiceThread website

I found another worthwhile website while looking around on the Free Technology for Teachers Site. The article Web2.0 & Students with Disabilities suggests that people with disabilities or anyone for that matter can use the VoiceThread website to communicate verbally and visually with anyone. People can respond on the site interactively by voice, text and video with the push of a button. There are tutorials that show just how easy it is to post something and then allow individuals to comment. I can just imagine using this for online meetings and classes, parent communications, family and friend interactions. I bookmarked it for my kids to play with. There is a system for signing in. I stopped there yet may venture back later and give this a try.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a great website, but I've got to admit that the first thing that I thought of when I was looking over the website was my 7 month old nephew. I love to read and my brother and his wife don't, so my brother has been trying to get me to call my nephew every night to read him a bedtime story. I love to do this, but the truth is that it isn't very practicle. However, voice thread gave me an idea. I could use the tar heel reader website that Stephanie mentioned in her post to find stories that Daniel might like, and then I could use voice thread to record myself reading the stories. That way he could have a library of books that he could listen to whenever he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Joy. My children ages 10 and 13 could do this with their favorite books. Find them on tar heel and then record them. They then might even be moved to create their own stories, especially if they think other people might read them. They are then officially published! thanks for this inspiration. Good luck with your story time with your 7 month old. 7 months really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last semester everyone did a lesson plan with Voicethread ... it was my tool of choice to explore deeper. It's getting near time to brush off my old Voicethreads...

    ReplyDelete