Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting to Know Families

Many of the families at Chugach Optional come into the school either in the morning or after school since they have to drive their children to and from school each day. This affords more opportunities to listen to and speak with parents about their thoughts or concerns.

My focus initially of course was to learn everyone's name. I keep a small parent-child list in my pocket in the morning and afternoon that I can refer to if needed. I greet as many people as possible with their name and a smile (child first) and wait to see if someone engages me. Polite conversations occur frequently, be it child or adult, during these transition times in the morning and afternoon. Some parents have specific questions about schedules or special needs for their child or the classroom.

I have asked a few families to fill out a list of questions about their child's and family's literacy. They have all welcomed the opportunity for me to get to know them better. I plan on interviewing one family to gain more insight into their family's Funds of Knowledge and how they can bring their uniqueness into the classroom.

One family brought in a 30 pound cabbage from their cabin in the valley. A few days later Kass asked the mom if she would like to make coleslaw with the kids. She accepted and a few days later we made coleslaw and ate it for snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment