Sunday, September 26, 2010

Transitions

In Kass' class, transitions are predictable both in the schedule and the rituals. Chimes are used to get the students' attention and directions are given to finish up work. Shortly thereafter the technique that includes raising one finger and saying "If you hear my voice, give me a one...if you hear my voice give me a two..." is used. Students raise their fingers and support others to attend. Directions are then given. If the group is coming together but not yet settled the two fingers raised technique (peace sign) is used to bring the attention back to the teacher. If a student is disruptive Kass simply will stop and wait, peers will redirect the student to attend or they will see that all are waiting. Verbal redirection is sometimes needed for individuals yet it is done in a calm, quiet, even patient way. In most instances the student is being told what to do instead of what not to do.

I find that when I am teaching and Kass is not in the room, like this past week when there was a substitute, the students were just a bit louder and a bit less attentive. They were easy to redirect and capture with a bit of individual attention.

When direct teaching I am clear on what we will be doing, how long it might take and what my expectations are for behavior. This seems to help them to frame this time, especially if there is something fun happening after the lesson. Peer support and personal responsibility are encouraged for supporting both the academics as well as the behavior of the students. With this in mind I am able to redirect if necessary with statements like, "What can you help_____ with so he/she can focus?" Or, "What do you need from ______ so you can focus?" They both hear the answers and can support each other to stay on task.

In classrooms with younger children I have used singing to transition yet I am following the routine esablished in this classroom. It is effective and developmentally appropriate, especially for the second graders, to expect that they support each other versus relying on an adult to manage their behavior. I enjoyed the singing and in the future I could see myself doing chants with this age group versus a song.

3 comments:

  1. I have noticed the same reaction by the children when my mentor leaves the class. I notice they are even more rowdy if there is a sub in the room. The times I was left alone, the children were more easily redirected.
    Transitions are something that I feel I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmer: Your host teacher sounds like a great match with you! I have a really hard time keeping track of the timing in the classroom...we are always going "over" out scheduled math/reading times when I am teaching...I think in my own room I will have to get one of those timer reminders to beep to help me stay on schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our schedule is very fluid also with plans moving on to the next day if we dont get to them. Kass has a strategy of over planning with quick add on activities or moving transitions. I am fine with this as it leaves room for emergent ideas or the teachable moment. Yet I have to be careful not to let the student(s) lead the activity somewhere that we don't have time for or that might need to be set aside for another time. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete